Tuesday 2 January 2024

Sparkling Poinsettia

We had a lot of big expenses last year (and not just our new campervan!) so we're having a frugal 2024.  This means that other than essentials (ink, glue, tape, etc) I'm not going to buy any new craft items this year - other than a pre-loved bargain I may find in a charity shop.  There will be plenty of posts using old favourites and some NBUS goodies too.

I won this lovely Heartfelt Creations 'Sparkling Poinsettia' stamp and die set in the ABC Christmas Challenge before Christmas - this is the first card I've made, but expect to see more during the year.

To make this card I used:
     7" x 5" white matt card blank
     Heartfelt Creations 'Sparkling Poinsettia' stamp and coordinating die
     Creative Expressions 'Festive Collection - Season's Greetings' die
     Xcut 'Swirls' embossing folder
     Versafine Crimson Red ink
     Cosmic Shimmer Clear Detail embossing powder
     Pentel Hybrid Dual Metallic gold pen
     Wink of Stella
     Snippets of red matt card and white matt card

I embossed a snippet of white card and trimmed around the edge of the swirl pattern.  The panel was layered onto a slightly larger snippet of red matt card and attached to the card blank.  I stamped the poinsettia flowers onto red matt card using crimson red ink, embossing them with clear embossing powder before cutting them with the coordinating die.  The flowers looked a little dull in the plain red matt card, so I added lots of clear Wink of Stella to them before layering three petals and attached them to the upper corner of the card.  The centre was coloured with the gold gel pen.  I die cut the sentiment from another snippet of red card, applied lots of Wink of Stella and attached it to the front of the card.  To finish I added more Wink of Stella to the edge of the red matt layer to make the card sparkle.

I am entering the following challenges:
     ABC Christmas Challenge - Y for Your Choice (I chose to use my prize to make a CAS card)
     Alphabet Challenge - T is for Texture
     Christmas Kickstart Challenge - The Midas Touch
     Christmas (or not) Bingo Challenge - I have used line 'G' (red, die-cuts and embossing for my 'free' square)
     NBUS - Challenge 58 (my new Sparkling Poinsettia stamp and die)
     52 Christmas Card Throwdown - Clean and Simple

Kath x  

14 comments:

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Just love your rich red poinsettias, Kath - perfect with the gold centers and lovely texture behind! So glad you shared at Christmas Kickstart!! Linda, Guest Elf

Pat said...

This is a beautiful poinsettia stamp and stands out so well placed on the oval central area of the Swirls embossing folder you used Kath, and a pretty complementary red die cut sentiment. A really elegant and sparkly Christmas card. x

Darnell said...

I love your design using your pretty new poinsettia, Kath, with the flower and the greeting offset on the oval. Lots of interest and texture! Thank you for inspiring everyone to use their NBUS! I hope you have no more big and unexpected expenses in 2024. And if I haven't already done so, thank you for the pretty Christmas card! Happy New Year Hugs, Darnell

meg said...

Happy New Year Kath,a beautiful poinsettia stamp and card

cheiro urgia said...

What a beautiful and elegant winter/Christmas card. I just love the red poinsettia petals against the white embossed background. The shimmering bloom goes so well with the tiny red border and the festive sentiment, and the white swirls remind me of loads and loads of fresh snow. Thanks for joining the Alphabet challenge.

Hugs, Veronika

Liz said...

Fabulous card Kath, such a striking design. The embossing on the poinsettia is so effective. xx

Dotty Jo said...

Another lovely card! I do love your style, Kath, it's so classy and elegant. Thanks for joining Linda and me at Christmas Kickstart, Jo x

Melanie Hungerford said...

Stunning card, that texture really makes a nice frame for the poinsettia, thanks for sharing with us at the Alphabet Challenge!

Jules said...

Hi Kath

I love that flower die very much.

Best of luck with the frugal crafting year .. .. .. I have been trying to pack my craft goodies away ahead of our house move and I definitely don't need to buy any more design paper pads or ribbon .. .. probably for the rest of this decade!!!

Love and hugs
Jules xx

Becca S said...

Kath: Thanks so much for using the bingo board on your textured poinsettia card! It is very lovely! The shimmer on the poinsettia makes it extra special!! For Christmas 0r not Bingo Challenges, Becca

Fabiola said...

elle est si chic Kath, j'aime le combo rouge et blanc, le résultat est toujours superbe, merci de jouer avec nous et la simplicité chez 52CCT, biz

Helen said...

Beautiful card - what a lovelt poinsettia!
Thanks for playing at the ABC Christmas Challenge!
Helen x

Valentina B said...

This poinsettia is one of my favourite! I love it!
Your card is very elegat and I love the idea of spending money only for the essentials and using the ones we already have at home.
Wish you Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Thank you for joining us at 52CCT, Valentina DT

Majda said...

Love your card and your description of the Christmas season :)
Thank you for joining the Christmas Card Throwdown.
Hope to see you again in our new challenge as well :-)
Majda DT