Saturday 24 February 2024

Retiform Christmas

I was so pleased when my Snowman Cross Stitch Card was a winner in the 52 Christmas Card Throwdown 'Sewing' challenge and thank you to the team for inviting me to be a Guest Designer on their Retiform challenge.  This is a new technique for me, but thankfully there are plenty of tutorials available online!  The technique took me right out of my comfort zone, but after several practice attempts I was reasonably happy with the final result.

To make this card I used:
     7" x 5" white matt card
     Hot off the Press 'Christmas', Making Cards 'Essential Christmas Stamps' and Uniko 'Rustic Wreath' stamps
     Versafine Spanish Moss and Vintage Sepia inks
     Snippets of white matt and brown textured card

I trimmed a snippet of white matt card to 6¼ x 4¼".   I used a scrap of card and post-it notes to mask various parts of the card before using the green ink and a blending tool to create the grid.  Once I had made the grid I wiped the blending tool across the rest of the card to lightly colour the background.  I used various small stamps and brown ink to stamp the images - masking the areas around the grid so I could stamp some of the images over the edge.  Once I had finished the grid I layered the panel onto brown card before attaching it to the card blank.

I am entering the following challenges:
     Ally's Angels - Anything Goes
     Holly and Ivy Christmas Challenge - Anything Christmas Goes
     Stamping Sensations - Animals, Birds or Creatures (my card has a reindeer)

Kath x

11 comments:

meg said...

You chose a beautiful selection of stamped images and a wonderful colour combo on this brilliant card Kath

Liz said...

Fabulous card, Kath and congratulations on your GD spot. I’ve never heard of this technique before, so I’ve just Googled it and watched a video. It looks a fun technique to try so I’ll give it a go. Thanks for the inspiration.
Liz xx

Lynne said...

You seem to have mastered it well Kath, it's a lovely card. not heard of this technique before so I too have just been watching a video. I might give it a go x

Dotty Jo said...

Hi Kath, this is a new technique to me, and I love the card you've created! Jo x

Fabiola said...

très charmante création Kath, merci d'être notre guest designer cette semaine, biz

crafty-stamper said...

Congrats on your win and GDT spot.Beautiful Christmas card love the technique and all the stamps.
Carol x
Thank you for joining us at Stamping Sensations.
Carol DT x

Pat said...

I haven't done this technique for a few years, but it does look great and you have made a beautiful card using it Kath, and the brown inked images with the added green for shading is very pretty. Congratulations on being the winner over at 52 Christmas Card Throwdown and being the GD this time. x

Anita van Deur said...

What a fabulous card and a very clever design/ technique to. Thank you for joining The Holly and Ivy Christmas Challenge! Anita DT

brenda said...

What a super card in the mono colours Kath, I've done that technique a few times over the years and now know it even has a name! Many thanks for joining this months Stamping Sensations challenge.

B x

Dora said...

Beautiful card. Stamping and inking. Thank you for joining at Stamping Sensations

Linby said...

Well done on your GD spot and for mastering this technique. Your card looks amazing. Thanks for sharing with us at Stamping Sensations.