Wednesday 15 August 2018

Twofer Geometric

I made these cards for the Twofer Card Challenge where the prompt is 'Geometric'.  I have used a Spellbinders Nestabilities Square die to make a friendship card and a birthday card.


Onefer - Friendship Card

I made this thrifty card using the front of an M&S gift card my nephew sent for my birthday together with stars and sequins from the birthday card my brother-in-law sent me.  I'm entering Penny's Paper-Crafty Challenge 'Anything Goes'.



Card blank: 5" x 5" white matt
Stamp: Stamps for All Occasions (magazine freebie)
Die: Spellbinders Nestabilities 'Classic Squares Large'
Embossing: Kars tan embossing mat
Ink: Versafine Imperial Purple
Card: Upcycled gift card
Paper: Lili of the Valley 'Timeless Victorian'
Other: Acetate, sequins and stars (upcycled from birthday card)

I die cut and embossed a square from the centre of the gift card front (to remove the M&S logo) and trimmed the square so it was slightly smaller than the front of the card blank.  I attached a piece of acetate to the rear and wiped an anti-static pad across it before attaching foam tape around the edges of the aperture.  I stamped the sentiment onto a snippet of purple paper and attached it to the rear of the acetate aperture on three sides.  I tipped the sequins and stars behind the acetate and then fastened it on the fourth side.  This panel was then attached to the front of the card blank with foam tape.

Twofer - Birthday

I made this card from snippets of paper and card so I'm heading into the playground at Pixie's Crafty Workshop as well as entering Crafty Hazelnut's Patterned Paper Challenge.


Card blank: 7" x 7" white matt
Dies: Spellbinders Nestabilities 'Classic Squares Large: Creative Expressions 'Mini Happy Birthday.
Embossing: Kars tan embossing mat
Snippets: BoBunny 'Isabella' paper (magazine freebie), dark brown matt card

I die cut and embossed several squares from the Isabella paper and cut some of them in half to make the triangles for the edges of the patchwork.  I then glued these to brown card with Tombow liquid glue to give a bit of 'wriggle room'.  I found this glue to be a little too wet for the paper and the card started to curl a bit, so I placed a piece of kitchen paper on top of the patchwork and a heavy book on top and left it to dry for a while.  Once it had dried I trimmed around the edge of the patchwork and then attached the square to the card blank.  I trimmed a strip of pink paper and layered it onto brown card before die cutting the sentiment.  This panel was then attached across the centre of the card before I inlaid the sentiment I had die cut from brown card.

Kath x

15 comments:

Sue said...

Hi Kath, Both cards are fab, but I really like the patchwork one. Sue

Liz said...

Two great cards, Kath. I love the lovely sentiment on the first card and your second card looks beautiful using the different patterned papers. xx

meg said...

Two gorgeous cards Kath, the patchwork effect looks fabulous

Carol S. said...

Two brilliant cards Kath. Love the designs. Hugs, Carol S.xx

Pat said...

Two wonderful cards for the Twofer Challenge, and I love the shaker, and how inventive to use the front of a gift card which is so pretty, then the patchwork idea for the second which works beautifully. x

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Great take on the twofer with the squares, Kath! Really great combo of patterns on the patchwork card and I love the shaker with the square window!!

La Papera Gialla said...

Thanks for entering our CraftyHazelnut's Patterned Paper Challenge for August and good luck!
Monica - DT

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Two gorgeous cards Kath, I love the patchwork one.

Sue xx

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely cards Kath, super colours too.x

Mrs A. said...

2 perfect cards for the challenge. Patchwork is pretty colours but the second card caught my eye for the stronger coloured design. Hugs Mrs A.

Di said...

What lovely cards Kath - I especially love the pink patchwork, being a lover of all things pink!

Darnell said...

These are wonderful, Kath! Well done upcycling that gorgeous card and turning it into another gorgeous card and a shaker one at that! Sensational! And your patchwork quilt snippets squares came together so beautifully! I love the colors and patterns!! Thank you so much for playing Twofer Card Challenge #8! Hugs, Darnell

Brenda said...

I love your twofer cards! So clever in using an old gift card holder to make the first card. It is a beautiful pattern and I love how you cut the logo out and made it into a shaker card! So fun! I also love your 2nd card-the square patchwork background is just lovely and makes a beautiful birthday card. Such beautiful papers you have used. Hugs, Brenda

Michelle said...

Beautiful creations - thank you for joining us this time at Penny's Paper Crafty and good luck - Michelle x

Happy Dance said...

Really pretty cards, Kath! That navy flowered paper is so perfect for this sweet friendship card, and that you've made it an upcycled shaker card is even better. LOVE the pink and gray combination on your birthday card, too. It looks so much like a fancy quilt! Great idea to inset the sentiment, too. Thanks so much for joining us at the Twofer Challenge! Bev